One of the questions our customers most often ask us is ‘how much do sash windows cost?’ This isn’t an easy question to answer – in many ways, it’s like asking ‘how long is a piece of string?’ The cost will depend on so many factors that it is hard to give a definitive answer. In this blog, we will:
- Explore some of the factors that could affect the costs of sash windows
- Give some examples of the steps you can take to reduce your costs
- Help you gain an understanding of costs, through case studies of our previous projects
Sash window cost – Wandsworth Sash Windows case studies
To give you a better idea of sash window costs, here are some examples of our work, along with details of the costs involved.
Sash replacement cost – case studies
Case study one – sash replacement
Address: Nansen Road SW11
Service: Sash replacement – five new double glazed timber sashes, three in a ground floor bay and two on the first floor
Cost: £6,000 – £7,000
Case study two – sash replacement, casement window and doorsets
Address: Auckland Road SE19
Service: Sash replacement – three double glazed sashes in ground floor bay windows, three first floor windows and a rear study window, plus a casement window, and two single doorsets made from utile hardwood
Cost: £15,000 – £16,000
Case study three – sash replacement
Address: Burghill Road SE26
Service: Sash replacement – eight pairs of sashes, seven at the front and one in the bathroom
Cost: £11,000 – £12,000
Case study four – bay window sash replacement
Address: Bowood Road SW11
Service: Sash replacement – three front bay windows, plus new full height plantation shutters
Cost: £4,500 – £5,500
Case study five – sash replacement and painting
Address: Marney Road SW11
Service: Sash replacement – seven windows at the front of the house (two bays, one above the front door), two windows at the back of the house, plus painting of the existing box frames
Cost: £12,000 – £13,000
Case study six – sash replacement and overhaul
Address: Reform Street SW11
Service: Overhaul with painting and sash replacement – three new pairs of sashes, draught proofing and painting of two pairs of sashes
Cost: £6,000 – £7,000
Case study seven – sash replacement, shutters and French doors
Address: Crofton Road SE5
Service: Sash replacement – 12 new pairs of timber double glazed sashes, plantation shutters and French doors
Cost: £20,000 – £25,000
Sash window replacement cost – case studies
If your box frame needs replacing too, a complete renewal will be required. This involves replacing the whole of the window, making a new one from scratch.
Case study one – sash windows and shutters
Address: Oriel Road E9
Service: Complete renewal – box frames and double glazed sashes for the ground floor and first floor, plus plantation shutters
Cost: £9,000 – £10,000
Case study two – sash windows, French doors and patio
Address: Tyrwhitt Road SE4
Service: Complete renewal – new windows fitted into the kitchen, new French doors and a new patio
Cost: £10,000 – £12,000
Case study three – acoustic glass
Address: Putney Bridge Road SW18
Service: Complete renewal with acoustic glass
Cost: £8,000 – £9,000
Sash window replacement – the cost of larger projects
If you need a bigger project, this can be completed along with your sash window overhaul. This section also covers large sash window installation projects, including multiple windows being fitted into larger properties.
Case study one – sash window renewal and doors
This was a larger project, where we were contracted to complete window replacements, sash replacements, as well as making and installing a new front door and frame. We ensured all sash window replacements were in keeping with the originals, made from utile hardwood.
Address: Clarence Way NW1
Service: Complete renewal, sash replacement and front door
Cost: £17,500 – £20,000
Case study two – sash window renewal and conservatory
After installing windows, the client asked us to quote for and build a new conservatory as well, saving them having to find additional contractors.
Address: Parkhurst Road DA5
Service: Complete window renewal and a new conservatory
Cost: £25,000 +
Case study three – Goring Hotel
We were contracted to replace 25 pairs of sashes in this luxury five-star hotel in Belgravia.
Address: Goring Hotel SW1W
Service: Sash replacement
Job value: £25,000 +
How is sash window cost calculated?
These are just some of the aspects of sash window replacement that will contribute towards to overall cost:
- A member of our team will come out to your property to consult with you, measure up and ensure your sash windows will be perfect for your property. They are then fitted by expert carpenters, who take care of every aspect of the installation.
- We have our own UK-based workshop where we make all our windows by hand. This is a labour-intensive process that involves design, manufacture, quality checks and any other processes that ensure the exact windows you have ordered arrive with you.
- Some materials and types of timber will cost more than others. You also need to account for the cost of the glazing. We will be able to explain all of this to you beforehand and give you a complete quote.
- We make all our sash windows by hand. They are completely bespoke, made to fit your property perfectly.
Sash window replacement cost – how to reduce your bill
There are steps you can take to reduce your costs when replacing or upgrading sash windows. Some may be more or less practical for you depending on your personal circumstances and budget. Here are some ideas:
- Replace the sash, not the sash window. Often, the box frame is still in good condition so it is possible to replace the sashes within it, costing you less.
- Get a proper consultation from a professional company. The more thorough the consultation, the more likely it is that your windows will live up to your expectations, so there won’t be any additional costs.
- Draught proof and repair your sash windows. If your windows are generally in good condition, you could save a lot of money by draught proofing and repairing them instead of replacing them.
The only way to find out exactly how much new sash windows will cost is to get a bespoke quote. It’s completely free of charge and no obligation – so there’s no reason not to! Our team will consider all costs and build them into your final quote, giving you a fair and accurate price for replacing your windows.
To arrange a no-obligation consultation with one of our sash window experts, please just get in touch and find out how much your sash windows will cost.